Sunday, August 23, 2009

Little Bro

So, it has been awhile since I last posted. I think my last post was titled something like "not much new" well, that is no longer the case. Things have been absolutely crazy around here! A week ago Friday I received a call from my sister that my little brother was in the emergency room. He works for an electrician in town and I was worried that he had gotten electrocuted or had been in a car accident. After several phone calls I learned that he had not been in a accident but had been diagnosed with Type I diabetes.

Lydia was still napping so once she woke up I dropped her off at my good friend Megan's house so she could play with Miss Norah Kate and I headed to WNH. I got there just before he was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Wichita. He stayed there until Monday night. So, last weekend I make a couple of trips to check in on him. He had to stay one extra day because of this potassium levels. Which I learned getting a potassium IV is very painful--I hope I never have to have one :)

My Brother is 26 which is kinda old to me diagnosed. However, that is just about the same age when my sister was also diagnosed. Yes, my sister is also a Type I diabetic...one grandmother, and one aunt. My dad is a Type II and one of Kane's cousins is also a Type I. So, I guess I shouldn't have been really so surprised! I hate to be selfish, but, I am so glad that I have about reached the cut off age...30...hooray for getting older. I will defiantly have to watch my eating habits and weight so I do not develop Type II later in life.

Marlon seems to be doing good. It will just take some time to get things figured out and balanced. He has already been back to the doctor's and is on a lower dose of insulin. I know that diabetes is a manageable disease. I just wish no one had to deal with in!! Love you, little bro!!

2 comments:

laura mcpherson said...

I wish they didn't have to deal with it either! I am still keeping him in my thoughts, and hope that he handles this major life change well.

THANKS for all the good food and fun times at this year's BBQ! See you tomorrow. Love ya~

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Hi...popped over from Laura's blog...your daughter is adorable!
My oldest son(age 12) has diabetes...so this post caught my eye. It is an adjustment but it's at least do-able most of the time! Tell him to hang in there and not be frustrated...we've been dealing with this since he was 7 1/2 yrs old.
Will be back to visit.
Leslie